The historic building, designed by Károly Rainer in neo-classical style, was constructed in 1914 for the “Hungarian” Inland Bank. The bank’s name, “Hazai Bank” (HB), is inscribed on various points of the building, featuring a stylized tulip motif that characterizes Hungarian architecture from the turn of the century. The building served as the bank’s headquarters for three decades until its nationalization after World War II.
The British Embassy then occupied and well-preserved the building from 1948 until 2017. The property is situated within the Buffer Zone of Budapest’s UNESCO World Heritage site. After the Embassy’s departure, our client aimed to refurbish and develop the building into a “gemstone” of their portfolio, thus launching an innovative competition.
The mixed-use development program includes commercial and hospitality functions on the ground floor, with Harmincad Street public areas featuring outdoor terraces. Upper floor levels offer flexible office spaces for single or multi-tenant use, while premium downtown apartments and a sky bar occupy the rooftop level.
The building’s original undulating skylight made of beveled glass panes, located over the ground floor Treasury Hall, is the main feature of the historic building. This key element fundamentally determines the architectural language of the development proposal.